Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Potty Training 101

I must say it never occurred to me, when we signed Logan up for preschool this summer, that potty training would be entering our lives so soon. Thanks to Logan's awesome teachers we have thus begun the journey into potty training.  Although Logan is just 2 1/2 and the youngest in his class we have gone from diapers to pull-ups in a matter of weeks!

It began slowly, with Logan just going potty at school but after a few weeks he was going at home!! Just pee-pee at first, but now we're going #1 and #2 at home, on the big-boy potty!! Funny how Logan completely bi-passed using the little "Cars" potty we got him and went straight to using the "big" potty. At school Logan is able to go potty all by himself, at home he needs help because we haven't quite mastered how to get on and off the potty by ourselves; and getting those shorts and pull-ups off all alone is quite a feat that I know will take another few weeks if not months to master.  My goal of being almost trained before our big trip to North Carolina might actually happen!!

The one aspect of potty training we have yet to venture into is nighttime training.  Logan's can't seem to keep a diaper dry at night thus I am not about to risk my already tired self into attempting nighttime potty training...that will have to wait until we are fully trained during the day.  Plus even with an extra protection diaper on he still seems to wet the bed sometimes.  Enter  the Ultimate Training Pad.  These things are awesome!! They have totally made my life easier.  Before I had them I was changing sheets sometimes daily...with this awesome invention I only have to change the pad!! I know I will be using them for months to come!! Thanks Safta for getting them for me!!

The funniest thing about potty training so far has been Logan's enthusiasm.  Kids are so impressionable and copy everything you say, so when I began trying to get Logan to use the potty I would say "wouldn't that be fun".  Well, wouldn't you know the little man picked up on this saying and now uses it for all types of occurrences.  I almost died laughing when one day when I asked him if he needed to use the potty he looked right at me and said "wouldn't that be so fun!".  SO HILARIOUS!

One of the techniques we've been using with Logan to help with his potty training is the "open door" technique where you allow your child into the bathroom with you when you have to go.  I think it definitely helps and Logan always congratulates me or Brennan when we've done a good job saying "good job Daddy" or "I'm so proud of you Mommy".  The comic relief this has brought just makes the process all the more entertaining and less stressful.  I mean, who doesn't want to be congratulated on a job well done in the bathroom by their child?!

We still have a long way to go, but I'm so proud of my little bug and all his efforts.  I cannot believe how much he's grown in such a short amount of time!! Will keep you posted on this subject!

No comments:

Post a Comment