Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Brand Snob

Before I had Logan I had absolutely no idea the difference between diapers.  I figured all brands were pretty much equal...boy was I wrong!! After trying many different diapers I have discovered that Pampers are the best.  (For those of you who have found salvation in other brands, congratulations, but I have not).  Anyway, from Pampers Swaddler's which actually catch all the poop and keep it in the diaper to Pampers Cruisers I have fully enjoyed being a brand snob.  I will admit that I tried the "cheaper" brands and hated them.  They were noisy and did not, I repeat did not hold anything in...but I tried.

Anyway, being a brand snob has its rewards because Pampers (and other brands which I will discuss in a moment) have rewards programs connected with their diapers, wipes, etc.  Who knew you could be rewarded for the what seems like millions of dollars you spend on diapers during your child's first approximately 3 years of life.  I discovered the Pampers Gifts-to-Grow program when Logan was about 5 months old.  All you do is register your codes found on the diaper packaging and voila.  Last year I was able to save around $90 on Shutterfly by using my reward points to purchase photo gifts for family!!

So you will understand my disappointment when I realized that Pampers did not make pull-ups in size 4T-5T (at least neither stores I shop at here in Greenville sell them).  I had already conceded to buying Huggies for nighttime diapers because again, Pampers didn't make their extra protection diapers in size 6.  I mean, it's not my fault my child is in the 100th percentile - shouldn't he be entitled to the best?! Anyway, after making the switch I discovered that Huggies also offers a rewards program and now my rewards programs are competing against each other in a battle to see who can offer me the best items for the least amount of points.  Those of you who know me understand the sheer joy I get from actually getting something out of something that again seems to be costing us millions of dollars a year.

I am trying to see how many points I can acquire prior to holiday shopping this year...so far I'm at 2,151 points with Pampers...if I get to 4,000 I could get Logan a bicycle - how crazy is that?! I don't even want to think about how much that means I'll have spent on diapers!! And with Huggies I'm at 153 points - not sure what the rewards look like, haven't had time to browse yet.

Thus I have learned that it pays, literally, to be a brand snob when it comes to baby items.  They say it costs around $250,000 to raise a child, not including college...at least we're getting something back...

No comments:

Post a Comment