Sick kids are something I have been dealing with a lot lately. I know it comes with the territory when your kids are in school/daycare, but it's still not fun. Emmett started our visit to Minnesota a little congested and got better as the visit went on. Logan, on the other hand, got sick during our visit and was barely well enough to make our trip home. Logan was so sick that we ended up taking him to the emergency room.
It all started monday night...Logan was having nightmares and talking in his sleep...I knew that he would wake up the next morning with a fever. He had a fever on and off all day and we tried to give him Infant's Tylenol because that's all he'll take for us, but that means he needs 3 dropper fulls and it's hard just getting him to take one.
So Wednesday when he still wasn't well Brennan and I decided to take him to the emergency room. Of course we waited almost four hours before being seen...at least there was a TV in the room!!
Logan loathes doctors, doctors offices and anything that resembles any of these things. He was polite at the ER, but he had to be coached through everything...taking his temperature, listening to his heartbeat, looking in his ears, the list goes on and on. And to top it off his stomach started bothering him once we got into our room and literally as soon as I would sit down, he'd have to go potty again. We almost ran out of pull-ups people!! They determined it was a stomach bug and gave him some anti-nausea medicine and some juice and watched him for about an hour. Luckily he took the pill they gave him because the alternative was an IV and neither Brennan nor I was going to even think about going down that road.
I don't know how many of you out there (if there's anyone out there?) have kids who HATE medicine but Logan is #1 Liquid Medicine Hater!! He'll take tylenol for something like a tooth ache, but man when he gets sick forget about it!! Somehow I managed to get him to take Children's Tylenol, finally, but it wasn't pretty. We made the trip home alright and by sunday he was back to eating normal meals.
Of course, since it's our first week back at school we're all sick...coughs, runny noses, tired, etc. Even Emmett has a cough, which is SO sad!! Logan didn't get sick till he was over 1 year old but poor Emmett didn't stand a chance. I feel bad but I try to keep reminding myself that it'll only make him stronger in the long run.
Sickness sucks when you have kids...because everyone in the family is going to get some or all parts of the sickness. You can't avoid it...no matter how much you tell everyone to cover their cough and wash their hands. I have tissues in every corner of the house and my medicine cabinet it quite stocked. The best stuff I've found for little ones besides Tylenol and Infant Advil (which they can't have till they're 6 months or 18lbs) are the products made by Little Remedies. They have so many "all natural" products for children too young to have cold medicine...meaning 4 years old or younger. I have used the following from them and have been very satisfied: Little Noses Saline Drops, Little Tummy's Gripe Water, Little Colds Honey Elixir, Little Colds Honey Pops, Little Tummys Gas Relief. If you're a mom or soon to be mom, you MUST store their products!!
Anyway, I'm hoping that this week we will all begin to feel better and will get into more of a routine of going to school...we start full days next week!!
Here's to good health and crazy schedules!!
Diana


No comments:
Post a Comment